Friday, June 21, 2013

The body (the road to meeting Luccia)

This post contains graphic pictures

Read the introduction, the previous post, first...

As we waited in the maternal assessment center, Dr. Chow came in to greet us and to see if we had any last minute questions. Mostly our time was spent joking around and laughing, both of which helped to calm my bouncing nerves. I had previously asked one of the anesthesiologists if I could be more sedated when it came time for the repair of my umbilical hernia after I delivered the baby and was told they could do that. Dr. Chow reiterated this could happen, so my one question was answered and things were ready to get rolling.

My doctor left to get prepped and my mom and Jeff's dad took his spot in the room. We briefly exchanged a few words and kisses as I was shuffled out the door. The time had come! Jeff would gown up after I left and we would be reunited once my body was prepared for surgery. My two anesthesiologists walked me down the hallway and led me into the brightly lit operating room. The room was already bustling; friendly faces were verbally embracing me and making me feel welcome. I was comforted knowing it was these people who were assigned to make sure our baby and I were taken care of and made it through. It is such a surreal feeling walking into a room knowing in just a matter of minutes, I will be bringing a new life into the world.

I was instructed to sit on the bed and soon I was in position for my spinal block, the injection of drugs into my spine that would get me all numbed up for my surgeries. I had kind of forgotten about this part and how badly the needle poke felt, but the burn went away quickly and guided by my anesthesiologists, I was soon flat on the bed.

Everyone was moving more rapidly at this point. A curtain higher than I remembered from my c-sections with Mirabella and Viviana went up over my chest and now all I saw were lights and blue. I felt complimented as one of the nurses said, "Wow, you're all baby!" as I imagined my big ol' belly sticking straight up in the air. I laughed and referred to one of my husband's previous comments about it being even bigger than a fully inflated beach ball. Then the reality of my entire body, all my lady parts, being on display hit me and I pictured in my head what a sight that must have been.

Dr. Chow came in, Jeff got into place and I was about to have our baby. My name and my procedures - c-section, tubal ligation, umbilical hernia repair - were said aloud by my doctor and he confirmed I did indeed want my tubes tied. I could tell things were being recorded and suddenly the tone seemed much more serious. It was time.

There were three or four people on my side of the curtain and the same amount or more on the other side. Still more were in the room, all ready to take care of the baby and me. "Who's the schmuck that left all this scar tissue to get through?" Dr. Chow teased as he made reference to himself and the scar tissue that had built up under the line from my previous incisions. The mood lightened. We laughed. And waited impatiently. Jeff held my hand and we made small talk with each other and the crew.

From out of my sight behind the curtain one of the nurses said, "You must be the life of the party, Jen, if this is how you are in the middle of surgery!" "Yes, she is." Jeff said, and I found myself feeling quite proud that I didn't even sense an eye roll out of him while saying it. He was out of my sight line then too, however. I mean, of course I always tell myself I am the life of the party, but how nice it was to have someone else's affirmation of the fact. Haha!

Then, in what felt like not enough time at all, Jeff was told to get the camera ready. Even with all of the anticipation I felt, I couldn't believe it was already time! Jeff stood up and one of the guys pulled some of the curtain down for him to see. Although he had been through this step a couple times, I still worried he may faint at the sight that was in store. But he was awesome and I heard the snaps of the camera alongside of the amazement in his voice.

 
I yearned for the visual as I heard all the oohing and ahhing and oh my goshes, not just from Jeff, but now also from the several people by me who were all looking over the curtain with him by this time. They appeared to be as enthralled as we were anticipating the sex of our baby. (The main anesthesiologist had playfully razzed Jeff and me some in the maternal assessment center that our chances of another girl were likely after already having two. "You know what that means...you're probably having another one!" he said. I figured him to be looking on to see if his theory was true.)
And there was the head!
 
 
Then the body! (I love this photo. I have a shot of each of our babies in this pose!)
 
 
 
The suspense was too much as everyone looked on and I was held captive waiting for the revelation from Jeff.
 
 
"Can you tell yet? Do you know yet?" I was asking repeatedly as all of his answers had been no. Then I remember the sounds getting louder, everyone's voices animated as Jeff finally said excitedly, "It's a girl!" I could tell he was beaming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing; I often wondered how things looked during my Caesareans but this was prior to cell phones and digitals.